Saturday, February 11, 2017

Karan Johar opens up about ‘hostage video’, says felt terrible making it

Bollywood director Karan Johar recently revealed how he actually felt about the video apology he was pressurised to release when Indian right-wing political party Maharashtra Navnirman Sena weighed on him last year.

"I have my own belief and thoughts on this, but there's a studio and cast I'm accountable to, the team of the film I'm accountable to. So I had to put out a statement which I feel terrible about," the actor said according to the Hindustan Times.

In the interview on CNN-News18, Karan Johar – who has spoken on the issue for the first time in four months since Ae Dil Hai Mushkil hit cinema screens – went on to say that he was shocked to prove his nationalism to conservative hardliners, considering how he has "contributed to this country in my own tiny way over the last 20 years of my career."

"[…] The fact that I had to do this. It felt like there was an invisible gun on my head."

The party had criticised him severely late last year for featuring Pakistan's Fawad Khan in his romcom movie released in October 2016, and let loose hints of their doubts about his patriotism.

In response, Karan appeared in a 100-second "hostage video" garbed in black, and said, "I need to say this, and I say this with strength, that for me, my country comes first," The Telegraph India reported.

According to Karan, the apology was one of his top three worst moments to date.

No comments:

Post a Comment