Sunday, December 3, 2017

Women responsible for cooking, cleaning in my culture: Amir Khan

Boxer Amir Khan. Photo: The Mirror 

Pakistani-British boxer Amir Khan is back in news.

We heaved a sigh of relief after the chaos in his personal life finally ended when the boxer and wife, Faryal Makhdoom, waved the white flag last month, but it seems like Amir can't seem to stay away from stirring controversy.

The latest statements from Khan, who is participating in the reality show I'm A Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here!, have stirred a toxic controversy and left the public scandalised.

In a recent interview with BBC Asian Network, the 30-year-old said that once he comes home from work, it's his wife's job to cook for him.

"I would never cook," said Khan. "In my culture, women, that's their job to do the cooking. They're best at cooking."

It could have stopped there, but he had more to add.

"It's a man's job to actually do other jobs like the hard work, the hard labour jobs around the house."

"Doing housework is harder," the interviewer argued, "I would not get as tired on my job as I do when I work at home. Until you don't do it for yourself, you won't realise how hard that is."

To which Khan replied, "I've got a dishwasher, washing machine, I've never actually known how to use these things. I would never touch those machinery, ever. You would turn into a woman. I'm a man. If I started dishwashing —"

A woman had to take up sanity's cause. She interrupted the boxer and asked, "If you use the machine, you would turn into a woman?"

Amir then said, "Yeah."

And Twitter can't handle it!


No comments:

Post a Comment