Wednesday, November 29, 2017

SNL's Kumail Nanjiani and Wonder Woman Gal get candid about personal lives

Kumail Nanjiani and Gal Gadot interview each other on 'Actors on Actors' 

The Wonder Woman wowing the box office — Gal Gadot and Saturday Night Live's most recent host, Pakistani-American actor and comedian Kumail Nanjiani interviewed each other on the show 'Actor on Actor', getting candid about their personal lives and struggles. 

They also shared the experiences of their recent projects. Here's how their conversation went:

Nanjiani: So how did you end up playing Wonder Woman? How did that happen?

Gadot: It's kind of one thing led to the other. I never planned on becoming an actor, and then I had this opportunity where this casting director flew to Israel; she was looking for a new Bond girl. I did the audition, didn't get the part, but through this experience, I was like, "This is so much more interesting than going to law school."

Nanjiani: You were in law school?

Gadot: Yeah, I know. Thank goodness life interrupts and comes in the way. It was weird because I didn't know they were auditioning me for Wonder Woman. I knew I was auditioning for this secret project.

PHOTO: VARIETY

Gadot: I read that you didn't want to be an actor either. What are you doing here?

Nanjiani: I don't know what happened. Huge mistake. My parents wanted me to be a doctor.

Gadot: They wanted me to be a lawyer. We have so much in common.

Nanjiani: We're both immigrants. We play immigrants in our movies.

Gadot: We both get asked all the time, "How do I pronounce your name?"

Nanjiani: So I decided pretty early on the fact that I didn't want to be a doctor because the stakes are so high. Like if we mess up, we get another take. With a doctor, the worst-case scenario is much worse, right? And I sort of fell in love with comedy. From the stand-up, it went into writing and then into acting. The first thing I acted in that I wrote for was a show called Michael and Michael Have Issues. I was like, 'Oh, my God, this is going to be my life. This is going to be great' — it lasted six episodes. Really, I've been in the right place at the right time over and over.

PHOTO: VARIETY

Gadot: I get really emotional and excited when it's little kids. To them, I'm not Gal. To them, I'm Diana. I'm Wonder Woman. It's funny how this movie was so broad, touched different people, different ages, different cultures. I got photos from people that I work with or friends that their grandparents went to see it with their wheelchair and everything. It's been really overwhelming. Right now, in the eye of the storm, I enjoy it and I appreciate the amazing feedback. But I think that it's going to take me time to really digest and realize what's happening.

Watch the full interview here:


No comments:

Post a Comment